Starting Small
Pillows, Shades, and Rugs… Oh My!
I didn't want to get over my head too soon with big projects, so I began doing little things to improve the Lutes. Julie and I love the Mid-Century Modern (MCM) theme of the trailer. Especially seeing how it was built in 1953. What is especially cool is the tropical tone of the curtains and included furnishings.
We wanted to carry on this motif, so Julie did a bit of shopping and found some pillows for the couch that matched perfectly. Couple this with a few display items that she got for good prices—all keeping to the theme. I, myself, had a few ideas which included the addition of White Bird of Paradise flanking the sides of the couch. (We purchased silk plants because we would probably end up killing real ones.)
![]() |
| Couch with new pillows, flanked by White Bird of Paradise. |
Carrying on the motif also included the trailer lighting, so using the provided lamp (rattan base and burlap shade) as a starting point...
![]() |
| Retro rattan and burlap MCM lamp. |
...we removed and safely stored away all five of the original Victorian-style lamp shades, and replaced them with small, burlap shades.
![]() |
| Replaced Victorian shades with burlap shades. |
We also carried on the rattan feel with an oval jute rug and coasters.
![]() |
| Jute rug and coasters warm up the living room with a nice tropic feel. |
A Lost Cutting Board
The next, semi-small, project was to install a missing cutting board. I did not think to ask the original owner if this board was available anywhere, so I assumed it was long lost. I measure out what would fit in the slot, but it was a very odd size.
![]() |
| An open slot in the cabinet gets filled with a cutting board recreation. |
I shopped and found something close, but oversized. I then used my table saw to cut it to size and used one of the scrap pieces to make a "stop" so that it would not slide in and out-of-reach. I also took an entire day trying to recreate the same stain color so that it would blend right in to the established cabinetry.
The Sound System
Anathema to my thinking was to drill holes or remove panels, but I needed a sound system to set moods and listen to teachings while I worked. I did some shopping and found a very nice, Bluetooth, stereo amplifier and some very nice bookshelf speakers. I put the speakers behind the left and right storage compartment air vents located over the front window. I then, carefully, ran some AC into the storage area for the amp. Now anyone with a tablet or phone can connect with the "Lutes HiFi" channel and play their favorite tunes.
Vintage Fluorescent Tube Fixtures
In both the kitchen and the bathroom were some great, old, vintage fluorescent light fixtures. The problem I had with it was the old push for a couple seconds then release button to turn it on, then pull to shutoff. For guests, this would have to be explained on how to use. Another annoyance was the very loud buzz it produced as well as an ugly color of the lamp itself. Not to mention how hard it is to find a tube that size. I made the decision to convert it to LED.
![]() |
| Replacing noisy fluorescent tubes with warm LED retrofits. |
Thankfully, I found an 18", warm LED tube replacement. However, it required modification to the unit, which meant the removal of the ballast from the wiring. While doing this, I also replaced the weird switch with a small rotation version. Turned out well and works much better... and silent!
Hood Light
The exhaust hood will be very nice to have when we release steam from our InstantPot. The problem was that there was not much light underneath it. So, I located a source of AC in the cabinet and mounted a vintage-style, turn switch socket. It was funny talking to the older Home Depot guy. I described the type of switched socket I needed and he looked at me amazed and replied, "You're going old school."
![]() |
| A switched light socket added just the needed light to the countertop. |
Miscellaneous
After this, I fixed a few minor things like a sticking door handle, converted all lamps (including the exterior handle nightlight) to warm LEDs, and making minor repairs to the Cracked Ice Formica kitchen counter. There were also small repairs needed to the wood, including a bit of restaining.







